Thursday, February 5, 2015

34 Weeks of Clean -- Recipes

I think this week's 34 Weeks of Clean challenge through me off because it seemed so easy. Most of my recipes were already organized into two binders neatly stored in a cabinet.


Looks can be deceiving though. Many of the recipes were indeed neatly typed and put in page protectors. Unfortunately, there were a lot that were scribbled on index cards and stuffed in the front pocket (or worse, shoved in the clear cover on the binder).


I pulled out a new binder (to replace one that was starting to fall apart) and set to work getting everything refiled. There was a huge OCD part of me that wanted to type up all the loose recipes so that they would match the ones already in the binders. I knew that was a job that would take far more time than I could spare so I reluctantly settled for a make-shift solution.


Finished binders are better than having grand intentions of making them perfect.

My two overflowing binders are now divided into three -- one for main dishes and sides, one for breads and breakfast ideas, and one for desserts. They still fit neatly into the organized cabinet above the coffee makers.


My only disappointment is that I still haven't made pretty covers for the binders. I'll have to add that job to next week's to-do list.


Michele also challenged us to look through our cookbook collection. I'm in a purging mood this year, trying to downsize before this summer's move. Looking through cookbooks was a good step in my plan to reduce the number of books on our shelves.


The "After" picture shows some of my favorites and some that I need to go back through to copy down the few recipes that I want to keep out of them.


It was a bit fun to have an organizing week after all the dirty cleaning jobs we've had lately. I suspect that next week's Kitchen assignment will include some scrubbing. I'll do my scrubbing after I find the perfect printable binder labels for my recipe books.

If you'd like to join me with the challenges, you can find Michele's posts on her Family, Faith, and Fridays blog, on the Facebook page, or by clicking the button below. She posts a new challenge every Friday and will also be hosting a weekly link-up for any other bloggers who are brave enough to share pictures of their progress.


©2009-2015 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced. http://throughthecalmandthroughthestorm.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. Great job! I just tape my handwritten ones on paper in the sleeves as well. We have gotten rid of lots of cookbooks, but I may need that Cooking With Mickey one you have! ;) Glad you enjoyed a fun week- now get scrubbing! ;) Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have kids who can decorate those binders, right? If they have those see-through covers, you can just slip a drawing or a piece of pretty fabric in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You really downsized your collection. I didn't have the heart. We moved 6 months ago and I sent a large box to Goodwill then. I use what's left. But my binder! Oohh weee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, my husband is "the cook" of the family, and he would have cried if I downsized our cookbooks that much. His cookbooks are like my homeschool curriculum is to me, so I don't really touch them, lol! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like organizing your recipes into three binders with a certain topic is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...