Tuesday, February 17, 2015

34 Weeks of Clean -- Finishing up the Kitchen

Last week's 34 Weeks of Clean challenge included all the little (and not so little) things in the kitchen that I haven't already attacked this year -- the oven, the microwave, the toaster oven, the countertops, etc.


A few weeks ago I guessed that Michele would have us clean the oven sooner or later. I checked the weather forecast and found a cool morning to set the self-clean cycle on the oven. (My northern friends are incredibly jealous that we're already having afternoons that are too warm to run the self-cleaning cycle on an oven without turning on the air conditioning.)

After letting the self-clean cycle run, I used a razor blade to scrape off all the gunk on the glass window and a bit of steel wool to scrub the racks.



The toaster oven and the microwave simply needed a bit of elbow grease.

The biggest improvement in the kitchen came when I cleared off the countertops. This part of the counter is several inches higher than the rest and divides the kitchen from the dining area. It often becomes a catch-all area, collecting all sorts of junk. 

Before:


After:


I love the way that clearing out just a bit of random clutter makes my whole kitchen look better. I haven't been able to keep this area completely clean, but I have been able to keep it from becoming a jumbled mess. And when that area of the kitchen looks clean, then I notice the things left out on other counters that could be put away. Before I know it, the whole room is sparkling and I'm smiling.



If you'd like to join me with the challenges, you can find Michele's posts on her Family, Faith, and Fridays blog, on the Facebook page, or by clicking the button below. She posts a new challenge every Friday and will also be hosting a weekly link-up for any other bloggers who are brave enough to share pictures of their progress.


©2009-2015 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced. http://throughthecalmandthroughthestorm.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. We have a counter space that I cannot keep cleared off either! It drives me crazy and is my new purpose in life! ;)
    Looks great Cristi! Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...