Wednesday, November 26, 2014

D is for Delaware's Bicentennial {Years Ago}

I wasn't quite old enough to remember the American Bicentennial celebrations in 1976, but I do remember the celebration of Delaware's Bicentennial.


In December 1987, I was a freshman in high school, living in Dover, Delaware. I'm pretty sure I didn't really care about attending any of the events until there became a big ruckus at school about it. There was a "Delaware Day" planned with activities all around the Legislative Mall in downtown Dover. Since it wasn't an official holiday, we weren't excused from school to attend any of it. Several students started a protest in front of the school board office and the state capitol building, and eventually we were all allowed to attend.

In terms of the festivities that day, the thing I remember the most is the parade. It started with a C5 airplane doing a low level flyby, with my dad as the pilot.

For non-military readers, a C5 is the largest cargo plane in the Air Force:


Whenever I tell the story of Opa leading the bicentennial parade, I usually tell my kids that I have a program which was signed by several of the politicians that were in attendance. In fact, I've always thought that I had gotten Joe Biden's signature years before he was Vice President of the United States.

This week I dug through my box of memorabilia to see if I could find that program. I did:


It did indeed have Joe Biden's autograph, along with Mike Castle (then governor of Delaware), Warren Burger (former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court), Tom Carper (US Representative, US Senator), and Bill Roth (US Representative, US Senator).


I wonder if this old program is worth anything if I sold it on eBay?


For most of the past year I've been sharing "Years Ago" stories as I've been Blogging through the Alphabet. There are so many stories left to share that I've started over again. This time I'm linking my posts with Kristi at The Potter's Hand Academy

Blogging Through the Alphabet

©2009-2014 Through the Calm and Through the Storm. All rights reserved. Photos and content may not be reproduced. http://throughthecalmandthroughthestorm.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...